A standard Railways signal box, it is a two-storey structure with a corrugated-iron pitched roof and rusticated weatherboards. The bottom floor was used for interlocking equipment, with the lever frame on the top floor. The interior is match-lined, and still houses the original signalling equipment.
The first Wingatui station was built for the extension of the Port Chalmers-Abbotsford line to the Clutha River in 1875. With Dunedin’s growth and a steady increase in both long-distance and suburban traffic, duplication of the line south was mooted in 1908, including resiting the station. Local residents objected to having to walk further, but Railways pressed on and the new buildings and the duplication to Mosgiel were completed in 1914. The signal box was required for the junction with the Otago Central Railway at the west end of the station, and for main line points and signals. From 1967 Wingatui was an attended flag station staffed for signalling purposes, and in 1986 the signal box closed when the station closed except for operating purposes. It is has been resored by RHTNZ, along with the station building.