Inglewood is a modified Vogel class 4 station. Originally a modest lean-to with an open lobby and adjoining rooms, the station has grown substantially. There are rusticated weatherboards on the platform elevation and shiplap weatherboards elsewhere. It is capped by a corrugated-iron roof. Its form is similar to that of Waverley, with the verandah forming a gable with the original lean-to. However, another lean-to placed, curiously, perpendicular to the main building disguises the general form of the building on the north end. There are large garage-sized doors in the rear of this lean-to extension and also further along the road elevation. Most of the windows, even on the additions, are four-paned sashes. The former lobby, now enclosed, still bears in the arch framing external evidence of its decoration. The verandah has railway-iron posts bolted together and curved to support the roof, while the scallop-shaped valancing at both ends is cut neatly to clear passing trains.
Inglewood was built in 1876 by contractors to the Public Works Department, J. Gibbs and G.B. Sealy. It is on the Marton-New Plymouth railway, which opened to Inglewood early in 1878. The station was also a Post Office, and early alterations to the building involved the provision of more space for postal services. In 1891 and again in 1897 when the district engineer was asked to provide "as much accommodation as possible for £65", room was made for the expanding postal business. In between, in 1896, a verandah was added and the platform extended. In 1899 a "soundproof" telephone booth was added and in 1907 electricity was installed. There were few other changes to the building until 1955 when the public lobby was altered to allow more room for ticket and parcel transactions. In 1976 the provision of a gang amenity in the building required the removal of the ladies’ toilet. This was reinstated the following year after a public protest. Despite frequent calls for the station's replacement, Railways signalled its intentions for the building by repiling the whole structure in 1984. Since 1986 Inglewood has been open to full wagonload traffic only. Scheduled passenger services on this line ceased in 1983.
Inglewood is one of the oldest surviving station buildings. The many additions and modifications, some of them old in their own right, have compromised the purity of its form, but the building is a most interesting document of the changes that have occurred. Much of the original class 4 building remains within the envelope of the structure and contributes to its considerable importance.
Although much altered, Inglewood has considerable significance as the oldest remaining station on its original site. It is a relic of the rail system a little over a decade after its establishment. It was built in the heyday of the Vogel initiatives, the first great railway-building era. Inglewood is an important reminder of the formative years of railway development.
Townscape / Landscape Value
Inglewood is one of the town's oldest buildings and its 19th-century form adds variety to the townscape.
Moa St, Inglewood
Office of Treaty Settlements
Modified Vogel class 4 station
Marton New Plymouth Line
Landscape / Townscape Setting
On an open site near the town centre