Little River is a rambling structure, which from some vantage points resembles more a country hall than a railway station. It began as a simple Vogel Gable station and its present appearance is the result of some obvious additions. The building is clad on different elevations with both shiplap and rusticated weatherboards, further testimony to the building's alterations. The very wide corrugated-iron roof extends out well beyond its post supports on the former platform elevation. There is another verandah on the road elevation sheltering the entrance porch. The original sash windows have been augmented by a number of large and small single-pane and casement windows. These windows give the building an almost domestic appearance. From the platform elevation, the interior layout consisted of a waiting room, ticket lobby, mum office arid Post Office. The principal additions were the Post Office public lobby (1914) appended to the road elevation, and the two verandahs.
The Lincoln-Little River railway, the branch line to Banks Peninsula, opened on 11 March 1886, the same year that Little River station building was completed. A. Swanston, the contractor, also constructed the formation and laid the track. Two years later, on 24 February 1888, a locomotive built by Scott Brothers of Christchurch made the journey to Little River. The station was closely associated with its postal function and on some plans the building was named Railway and Post Office Building. Additions to the building included, at a cost of £130, a public lobby for the Post Office in 1914. In 1928 postal and railway duties were separated and the Post Office leased space from Railways. The Post Office moved to the township in 1938. Falling patronage saw the line close to passenger traffic in 1951 completely in 1962. In 1964 the building was bought by Wairewa County Council and used as the county offices until 1989. Today the building is used as an information centre and craft shop.