Onehunga Station (relocated)
Onehunga Station (relocated)
ArchitectureOnehunga incorporates an original-style class 3 station building. This portion of the building has a rectangular plan and a gable roof. Additions include a single bay to the front [?] elevation (giving the building its L-shaped plan), and a concave-roofed verandah supported by plain posts. A lean-to has been added to one end of the building. As a whole the station has some stylistic continuity, with the use of shiplap weatherboards and corrugated-iron roof sheathing
HistoryOnehunga was one of the first stations built under the Vogel railway acts of the 1870s. It opened on 24 December 1873. The Onehunga Branch was operated by Brogdens until 30 April 1874, when it was handed over to the government. The building was "42' x 16' with 14' studs, divided into three compartments consisting of traffic and two commodious waiting rooms". It was on a V-shaped site formed by sidings on one side and the line to Onehunga wharf on the other - Onehunga Wharf Station opened on 28 November 1878 and closed in 1927. It has been suggested that a class 6 station was built at Onehunga in 1879 but there is no surviving confirmation of this. Additions were made to the class 3 Onehunga Station in 1881 including a new ladies' room, and it was presumably at this time that the building was given its L-shaped plan. For a century the station was the terminus of the Auckland - Onehunga suburban train service, operated in competition with trams. The Onehunga Branch closed to passengers after 1964 (since reopened) and the station building moved to Alfred Street, where it is the headquarters of the Railway Enthusiasts Society.
Architectural SignificanceWhile not on its original site, Onehunga is nevertheless of great architectural significance. It is the oldest surviving railway station building, and is the only surviving example of the original style of class 3 station building. Its "L" shape is extremely distinctive, as most stations were of plain rectangular shape.
Historical SignificanceOnehunga is the oldest surviving railway station, dating from the beginning of the railway system. It was built by Brogdens, the notable English railway construction contractors, and was one of the first Vogel standard stations. Onehunga and Onehunga Wharf Stations were only 20 chains (c.200 metres) apart and must surely have been two of the closest stations. The Onehunga Branch line is only about 3km long and with increasing use of road transport the passenger service became redundant, but has since reopened.
Town / Landscape ValueOnehunga station building is in a mixed residential/industrial area, close to its original site.
Address38 Alfred St, Onehunga, Auckland
Building OwnerRailway Enthusiasts Society
OccupierRailway Enthusiasts Society
Territorial AuthorityAuckland (ex ACC)
TypeVogel class 3 station
Landscape /Townscape SettingIn a residential area near the town centre