ArchitectureWingatui is an island-platform station and has identical facades to both platform elevations. A squat, compact structure, it has a corrugated-iron roof and rusticated weatherboard cladding. There are two chimneys, and verandahs to both elevations.
HistoryIt is not known when the first Wingatui station was built, but the Dunedin-Mosgiel line opened in 1875 and the original building may have been built just prior to this. With Dunedin's growth and a steady increase in both long-distance and suburban traffic, duplication of the line was deemed necessary. First mooted in 1908, plans involved moving the station and erecting a new building. Despite objection from local residents, who were not happy about having to walk further, the decision to move the station stood. By early 1914 the building, "similar in design to Caversham" but 4 to 5 metres shorter, had been erected and, later in the year, track duplication to Mosgiel was completed. The accompanying signal box was built the previous year to service the junction with the Otago Central Line, at the west end of the station. From 1967 Wingatui was an attended flag station, manned for signalling purposes, and in 1986 it was closed except for operating purposes. The station was proposed for removal two years later but remains on site. It is still used by Taieri Gorge Railway passengers.
Architectural SignificanceWingatui ranks as the second-best remaining island-platform station, after Remuera. Similar in form to the latter, but without the Marseilles-tile roof, it is a relatively simple structure. It is little changed from when built and is enhanced by its accompanying signal box - a rare and significant grouping.
Historical SignificanceWingatui was an important part of the Otago rail network. In its early years it was the site of a large rail-served brickworks, and it was the starting point of the Otago Central Railway. For many years it was the station for nearby Wingatui racecourse, with special sidings for this traffic.
Town / Landscape ValueSomewhat remote from the residential part of Wingatui, the station’s relative detachment gives it some presence in its own right.